NovusWay Ministries, a four-site outdoor ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional for a Lutheridge Operations Director at the Arden, NC location. To be a qualified applicant, an individual must be able to perform physical tasks of a job associated with an adventure camp and conference center. Follow the link below for the complete job description. Employment is contingent upon successful background check and pre-employment drug screening clearance.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume and at least three references as a PDF attachment by email or by USPS mail to:
Van Van Horne
PO Box 830
Arden, NC 28704
Receiving resumes until the right candidate is found.
Downloadable Version – Lutheridge Operations Director Job Description
MISSION: Providing places set apart to inspire and empower all in Christ’s love.
VISION: That all who come experience God’s love in community and creation, then go to love and serve.
NovusWay Ministries (NovusWay, Inc.) is a progressive and growing outdoor ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America located across the southeastern United States that includes the camps and conferencing centers of Lutheridge, Lutherock, Luther Springs and Lutheranch. Lutheridge Camp and Conference Center is located in Arden, North Carolina with close proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah National Forest, the Asheville airport and is approximately 10 miles from downtown Asheville.
The Lutheridge Operations Director shall be a person committed to Jesus Christ and the church and dedicated to working in a church related organization. S/he shall have a growing understanding and appreciation for the unique ministry of church camp and conferencing centers. S/he shall have knowledge, skills, and experience in housekeeping, maintenance and upkeep of buildings, grounds and site, woodlands and vehicles. S/he shall have basic knowledge of maintaining HVAC, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems, a general knowledge of carpentry and construction trades, and basic skills in facility management. The Lutheridge Operations Director should be able to perform these tasks as needed. S/he shall have at least five years of experience in supervising staff in these settings with the goal of mentoring, team building and developing leadership skills while adapting to site and operations risks to keep the ministry and all guests safe. S/he should possess a spirit of Christian hospitality and service, graciously engaging with guests and all who are associated with our ministry.
The Lutheridge Operations Director is supervised by the Lutheridge Executive Director and shall work toward success in operational management of the site, facilities and woodlands to include equipment and vehicle maintenance and needed purchases; shall be responsible for the Farris Operations Center including staffing and supervision of maintenance staff and the Housekeeping Supervisor; shall work to build a staff team that positively impacts work environment and outcomes. The Lutheridge Operations Director shall be committed to creative collaboration and teamwork with all Lutheridge and NovusWay Ministries staff to meet site and overall ministry strategies.
The Lutheridge Operations Director shall have the following specific responsibilities:
1. Site Operations and Upkeep of Physical Plant
• Oversee and supervise the effective maintenance and repair of Lutheridge buildings, vehicles, equipment, and furnishings.
• Oversee and supervise the management and upkeep of the Lutheridge site including roads, utilities, grounds, and woodlands.
• Build positive relationships with volunteers while serving as project liaison and supervising volunteer workers performing site related projects.
• Serve as staff contact for vendors, service companies and other organizations that provide goods or services to Lutheridge.
• Serve as the traffic and vehicle control officer at Lutheridge.
• Overall responsibility of housekeeping at Lutheridge through supervision and supporting of the Housekeeping Supervisor.
• Other responsibilities and tasks as assigned by his/her supervisor.
2. Safety and Risk Management
• Responsible for hiring, training, supervision and scheduling of all operations related staff and volunteers according to NovusWay personnel policies and internal processes.
• Leader of Lutheridge safety initiatives.
• Coordination of vehicle needs, training and drivers with all Arden, NC based travel.
• Work to ensure that site complies with all American Camping Association (ACA) standards as well as applicable local, state and federal laws. Work in collaboration with other Directors and staff as necessary during accreditation renewal years.
• Responsible for the application of risk management and safety standards with maintenance and housekeeping staff to include training and ensuring that needed certifications and license requirements are in place and followed.
• In conversation with the Lutheridge Executive Director responsibility for timely and appropriate response when accidents/incidents occur following the NovusWay Ministries emergency and crisis plans to report upward.
• Participate in staff meetings and training events at Lutheridge and with the broader NovusWay Ministries organization as required.
• Responsible for the implementation of business and registration office systems and procedures in relation to operations and operations staff. Ensure that all paperwork is sent in on a regular basis within the guidelines set by insurance mandates, the Finance and Support Services Executive Director and Director of Communication.
• Manage the Lutheridge operations budget in compliance with business office systems/procedures and participate in the annual budgeting process jointly with the Lutheridge Executive Director.
• As directed, support the Lutheridge Executive Director in the NovusWay Ministries strategic plan process. Develop internal Lutheridge operations annual plans to accomplish and to meet Lutheridge strategies in support of overall NovusWay Ministries goals.
• Other responsibilities in support of all NovusWay Ministries sites, programs and staff as needed or as directed by the Lutheridge Executive Director.
• *The Lutheridge Operations Director shall not be responsible for performing services for property owners in the residential section without authorization from the Executive Director of NovusWay.*
An annual performance review shall be provided by the Lutheridge Executive Director.
The Lutheridge Operations Director will be a member, lead, or develop various teams and committees to help accomplish the role. For example these may include but are not limited to the Lutheridge Team, Function Meeting Team, NovusWay Ministries Budget Team.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience and effectiveness
- Cash salary includes on-site residence.
- The Lutheridge Operations Director shall be a Level V(a) employee. This is an exempt position
- Health, dental, disability insurance, pension, vacation and annual continuing education provided according to provisions of the NovusWay personnel policies.