NovusWay Ministries, a four-site outdoor ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional to lead the Tallapoosa, GA location as Head Cook and Kitchen Manager. To be a qualified applicant, an individual must be able to perform physical tasks of a job associated with preparing and serving meals for an adventure camp and conference center. Follow the link below for the complete job description. Employment is contingent upon successful background check and pre-employment drug screening clearance.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume and at least three references as a PDF attachment to: email@example.com
Downloadable Version: Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager Job Description 10.2021
MISSION: Providing places set apart to inspire and empower all in Christ’s love.
VISION: That all who come experience God’s love in community and creation, then go to love and serve.
NovusWay Ministries (NovusWay, Inc.) is a progressive and growing outdoor ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America located across the southeastern United States that includes the camps and conferencing centers of Lutheridge, Lutherock, Luther Springs and Lutheranch. The ministry center, Lutheranch, is located in Tallapoosa, GA within 60 miles of downtown Atlanta, GA and 100 miles of Birmingham, AL. With 519 acres and two private lakes, Lutheranch offers a variety of outdoor activities including hiking, swimming, fishing, horseback riding, campfires, canoeing and more.
The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager shall be a person committed to Jesus Christ and the church and dedicated to working in a church related organization. S/he shall have a growing understanding and appreciation for the unique ministry of church camp and conferencing centers. S/he should possess a spirit of Christian hospitality and service, graciously engaging with guests and all who come to Lutheranch for retreat and renewal. The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager shall be committed to creative collaboration and teamwork with the broader staff team in meeting our mission and overall ministry strategies.
Specific Qualifications and Certifications
- Minimum 3 years of experience in food service with demonstrated increase in responsibilities over that time period
- Minimum 1 year of experience managing staff, including hiring, scheduling, disciplining, and effectively delegating assignments based on staff skillsets, interests, and performance
- Experience managing supplies and budget
- Experience preparing food for large groups
- Must be ServSafe Certified
- Certification and/or degree in Culinary Arts is not a requirement but will be considered in the hiring process
- Experience using Sysco’s online ordering system a plus
The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager is responsible for the leadership and management of all aspects of food service at Lutheranch Camp and Conference Center. This role is an integral part of the Lutheranch Guest Services Team, always greeting guests with a smile and providing gracious hospitality, going above and beyond to provide guests with delicious and nutritious meals, a welcoming environment, and exemplary customer service. We have a small staff at Lutheranch and s/he will have a big opportunity to influence the culture and guest experience. The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager shall have the following specific responsibilities:
- Food Service and Kitchen
• Plan, prepare and serve meals to groups and guests at Lutheranch. Group size may vary from 10 to over 100 people, with most groups ranging in size from 25 – 75 people.
• Plan menus, determine how to present dishes and ensure the quality of meals
• Order and maintain an inventory of food and supplies
• Check the freshness of food and ingredients
• Inspect and maintain supplies, equipment and work areas to ensure cleanliness, functionality and safety
• Monitor and maintain sanitation practices and follow kitchen safety standards. Ensure kitchen and guest dining areas are cleaned between meals.
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory requirements related to food service
• Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate activities of other food preparation and service workers
• Accommodate guest food preferences, dietary restrictions and food allergies
- . Administration
• Participate in staff meetings and training events at Lutheranch and with the broader NovusWay Ministries organization as required.
• Manage the food service budget
• Other responsibilities in support of all NovusWay Ministries sites, programs and staff as needed or as directed by the Lutheranch Executive Director.
Schedule will vary greatly week by week depending on when groups and guests will be at Lutheranch. Most weekends will be busy requiring long days, working from breakfast through dinner some days. Some weeks may require more than 40 hours of work while other weeks will require fewer hours. Candidates must be able to accommodate a flexible schedule and should expect to work most weekends.
The Lutheranch retreat center, McKanna-Sandrock Center, is located at 440 Salem Church Rd, Tallapoosa, GA 30176.
An annual performance review shall be provided by the Lutheranch Executive Director.
The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager will be a member, lead, or develop various teams to help accomplish the role. For example, these may include but are not limited to the Lutheranch Team, Lutheranch Guest Services Team.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience and effectiveness.
- The Lutheranch Head Cook and Kitchen Manager shall be a Level V(a) employee. This is an exempt position.
- Health, dental, disability insurance, pension, vacation and annual continuing education provided according to provisions of the NovusWay personnel policies.